WELCOME TO YOUR BLOG...!!!.YOU ARE N°

Born to make a difference (cco. N. Eyzaguirre, A. Palma, M. Waissbluth, J.J. Brünner, H. Beyer, F. Claro, S. Eyzaguirre, Y. Provoste, C. Vallejo, MEO, A. Velasco, G. Guirardi, A. Navarro, V. Pérez, M. Bachelet, I. Allende, A. Skármeta, P. Lemebel, G. Marín, etc.)‏

Born to make a difference.
TED Talk Rita F. Pierson
Every kid needs a champion

[Traducción al español, más abajo]

«Every child deserves a champion:
an adult who will never give up on them,
who understands the power of connection
and insists they become the best
they can possibly be.»

Rita Pierson, Educator
(Remembering her, who
died June 28, 2013, at age 61.)

Transcript

Select language

Transcribed by Joseph Geni 
Reviewed by Morton Bast
0:11
I have spent my entire life either at the schoolhouse, on the way to the schoolhouse, or talking about what happens in the schoolhouse. Both my parents were educators, my maternal grandparents were educators, and for the past 40 years I've done the same thing. And so, needless to say, over those years I've had a chance to look at education reform from a lot of perspectives. Some of those reforms have been good. Some of them have been not so good. And we know why kids drop out. We know why kids don't learn. It's either poverty, low attendance, negative peer influences. We know why. But one of the things that we never discuss or we rarely discuss is the value and importance of human connection, relationships.
1:07
James Comer says that no significant learning can occur without a significant relationship. George Washington Carver says all learning is understanding relationships. Everyone in this room has been affected by a teacher or an adult. For years, I have watched people teach. I have looked at the best and I've look at some of the worst.
1:33
A colleague said to me one time, "They don't pay me to like the kids. They pay me to teach a lesson. The kids should learn it. I should teach it. They should learn it. Case closed."
1:44
Well, I said to her, "You know, kids don't learn from people they don't like."
1:50
(Laughter) (Applause)
1:58
She said, "That's just a bunch of hooey."
2:01
And I said to her, "Well, your year is going to be long and arduous, dear."
2:07
Needless to say it was. Some people think that you can either have it in you to build a relationship or you don't. I think Stephen Covey had the right idea. He said you ought to just throw in a few simple things, like seeking first to understand as opposed to being understood, simple things like apologizing. You ever thought about that? Tell a kid you're sorry, they're in shock.
2:32
I taught a lesson once on ratios. I'm not real good with math, but I was working on it. And I got back and looked at that teacher edition. I'd taught the whole lesson wrong. (Laughter)
2:44
So I came back to class the next day, and I said, "Look, guys, I need to apologize. I taught the whole lesson wrong. I'm so sorry."
2:53
They said, "That's okay, Ms. Pierson. You were so excited, we just let you go." (Laughter) (Applause)
3:01
I have had classes that were so low, so academically deficient that I cried. I wondered, how am I going to take this group in nine months from where they are to where they need to be? And it was difficult. It was awfully hard. How do I raise the self-esteem of a child and his academic achievement at the same time?
3:26
One year I came up with a bright idea. I told all my students, "You were chosen to be in my class because I am the best teacher and you are the best students, they put us all together so we could show everybody else how to do it."
3:41
One of the students said, "Really?" (Laughter)
3:46
I said, "Really. We have to show the other classes how to do it, so when we walk down the hall, people will notice us, so you can't make noise. You just have to strut." And I gave them a saying to say: "I am somebody. I was somebody when I came. I'll be a better somebody when I leave. I am powerful, and I am strong. I deserve the education that I get here. I have things to do, people to impress, and places to go."
4:12
And they said, "Yeah!"
4:15
You say it long enough, it starts to be a part of you.
4:20
And so — (Applause) I gave a quiz, 20 questions. A student missed 18. I put a "+2" on his paper and a big smiley face.
4:38
He said, "Ms. Pierson, is this an F?"
4:42
I said, "Yes."
4:44
He said, "Then why'd you put a smiley face?"
4:48
I said, "Because you're on a roll. You got two right. You didn't miss them all." I said, "And when we review this, won't you do better?"
4:57
He said, "Yes, ma'am, I can do better."
5:00
You see, "-18" sucks all the life out of you. "+2" said, "I ain't all bad." (Laughter) (Applause)
5:11
For years I watched my mother take the time at recess to review, go on home visits in the afternoon, buy combs and brushes and peanut butter and crackers to put in her desk drawer for kids that needed to eat, and a washcloth and some soap for the kids who didn't smell so good. See, it's hard to teach kids who stink. And kids can be cruel. And so she kept those things in her desk, and years later, after she retired, I watched some of those same kids come through and say to her, "You know, Ms. Walker, you made a difference in my life. You made it work for me. You made me feel like I was somebody, when I knew, at the bottom, I wasn't. And I want you to just see what I've become."
5:57
And when my mama died two years ago at 92, there were so many former students at her funeral, it brought tears to my eyes, not because she was gone, but because she left a legacy of relationships that could never disappear.
6:12
Can we stand to have more relationships? Absolutely. Will you like all your children? Of course not. And you know your toughest kids are never absent. (Laughter) Never. You won't like them all, and the tough ones show up for a reason. It's the connection. It's the relationships. And while you won't like them all, the key is, they can never, ever know it. So teachers become great actors and great actresses, and we come to work when we don't feel like it, and we're listening to policy that doesn't make sense, and we teach anyway. We teach anyway, because that's what we do.
6:59
Teaching and learning should bring joy. How powerful would our world be if we had kids who were not afraid to take risks, who were not afraid to think, and who had a champion? Every child deserves a champion, an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection, and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be.
7:23
Is this job tough? You betcha. Oh God, you betcha. But it is not impossible. We can do this. We're educators. We're born to make a difference.
7:35
Thank you so much.
7:36
(Applause)






Rita F. Pierson:
Rita Pierson: Todo niño necesita un campeón

TED Talks Education · 7:48 · Filmed May 2013 
Subtitles available in 42 languages 
 View interactive transcripthttp://www.ted.com/talks/rita_pierson_every_kid_needs_a_champion/transcript?language=es

He pasado mi vida entera ya sea en la escuela, en el camino a la escuela o, hablando de lo que pasa en la escuela. Mis padres eran educadores, mis abuelos maternos eran educadores, y, durante los últimos 40 años, también me he dedicado a ello. Entonces, sobra decirlo, durante esos años tuve la oportunidad de ver la reforma educativa desde muchas perspectivas. Algunas de estas reformas han sido buenas. Otras, no tanto. Y sabemos por qué los niños abandonan la escuela. Sabemos por qué los niños no aprenden. Ya sea por la pobreza, el bajo nivel de asistencia o, las influencias negativas de los compañeros, sabemos el porqué. Pero una de las cosas de las que nunca hablamos, o que rara vez hacemos, es el valor y la importancia de la conexión humana, de las relaciones.
1:07James Comer dice que ningún aprendizaje significativo puede ocurrir sin una relación significativa. George Washington Carver dice que todo aprendizaje es entender las relaciones.Todos en esta sala han sido influenciados ya sea por un profesor o por un adulto. Durante años, he observado a la gente enseñar. He observado a los mejores, así como a algunos de los peores.
1:33Una colega me dijo una vez: "No me pagan para querer a los niños. Me pagan para enseñar una lección y que los niños la aprendan. Debo enseñarla. Ellos aprenderla. Caso cerrado".
1:44Le dije: "Bueno, ya sabes que los niños no aprenden de la gente que no les gusta".
1:50(Risas) (Aplausos)
1:58Dijo: "Eso es sólo una sarta de tonterías".
2:01Y yo le dije: "Bueno, tu año va a ser largo y arduo, querida".
2:07Sobra decir que lo fue. Algunas personas piensan que se puede tener, o no, lo que se necesitapara construir una relación. Creo que Stephen Covey tenía la idea correcta. Dijo que sólo debes intentar algunas cosas simples como tratar de entender primero, antes de ser entendido, o cosas simples, como disculparse. ¿Alguna vez han pensado en eso? Discúlpense ante un niño y lo dejarán en shock.
2:32Una vez enseñé una lección sobre proporciones. Realmente no soy buena con las matemáticas, pero estaba trabajando en ellas. Al regresar miré la guía del maestro. Había enseñado mal toda la lección. (Risas)
2:44Así que volví a la clase al día siguiente, y les dije: "Miren, chicos, necesito disculparme. Enseñé mal toda la lección. Lo siento muchísimo".
2:53Me dijeron: "Está bien, maestra Pierson. Estaba tan emocionada, que la dejamos seguir". (Risas) (Aplausos)
3:01He tenido clases de un nivel tan bajo, tan deficientes académicamente que he llorado. Me preguntaba, ¿cómo voy a llevar a este grupo en nueve meses desde donde están hasta donde tienen que estar? Y fue difícil. Fue muy duro. ¿Cómo elevo la autoestima de un niño junto con su rendimiento académico?
3:26Un año se me ocurrió una idea brillante. Les dije a todos mis alumnos: "Fueron elegidos para estar en mi clase porque soy la mejor maestra y Uds., los mejores estudiantes. Nos han juntadopara así mostrarles a los demás cómo se hace".
3:41Uno de los estudiantes dijo: "¿En serio?" (Risas)
3:46Le dije: "En serio. Tenemos que mostrarles a las otras clases cómo se hace, así que cuando caminemos por el pasillo noten nuestra presencia aún sin hacer ruido. Basta con mostrarse orgullosos". Y les di un frase que dice: "Yo soy alguien. Yo era alguien cuando llegué. Y seré un mejor alguien cuando me vaya. Soy fuerte y poderoso. Merezco la educación que aquí recibo.Tengo cosas que hacer, gente a la que impresionar y, lugares donde ir".
4:12Y dijeron: "¡Sí!"
4:15Si lo repiten lo suficiente empezará a ser parte de Uds.
4:20Y entonces... (Aplausos) Les di un examen; 20 preguntas. Un estudiante tuvo mal 18. Le puse un "+2" en su hoja y una carita sonriente.
4:38Me dijo: "Maestra Pierson, ¿esto es reprobado?"
4:42Le dije: "Sí".
4:44Dijo: "Entonces, ¿por qué me pone una carita sonriente?"
4:48Le dije: "Porque estás en una racha. Acertaste dos. No tuviste todo mal". Y dije: "Y luego que lo revisemos, ¿no lo harás mejor?"
4:57Me dijo: "Sí, señora, puedo hacerlo mejor".
5:00Miren, un "-18" te arruina la vida. "+2", dijo, "no está nada mal". (Risas) (Aplausos)
5:11Durante años vi a mi madre tomarse el recreo para revisar, las tardes para visitar a los alumnos,comprar peines y cepillos y mantequilla de maní y galletas y dejarlos en su escritorio para los niños que necesitaban comer, y una toalla y jabón para los niños que no olían tan bien. Es difícil enseñar a los niños que apestan. Y los niños pueden ser crueles. Así que ella tenía esas cosas en su escritorio, y años más tarde, después de que se retiró, he visto a algunos de esos mismos niños venir y decirle: "Sabe, maestra Walker, Ud. marcó una diferencia en mi vida. Me ayudó a hacer algo de ella. Me hizo sentir que era alguien, cuando en el fondo, sabía que no lo era. Sólo quiero que vea en lo que me he convertido".
5:57Cuando mi mamá murió hace dos años en el 92, había tantos ex-alumnos en su funeral, que lloré, no porque se había ido, sino porque dejó un legado de relaciones que nunca desaparecerán.
6:12¿Podemos entablar más relaciones? Absolutamente. ¿Te gustarán todos los niños? Por supuesto que no. Sabes que los niños más difíciles nunca faltan. (Risas) Nunca. No te van a gustar todos, y los difíciles aparecen por una razón. Es la conexión. Las relaciones. Y aunque no te gusten todos, lo importante es que nunca se enteren. Así que los maestros son grandes actores y actrices, que venimos a trabajar aún cuando no sentimos ganas y obedecemos a una política sin sentido, pero seguimos enseñando. Enseñamos porque es lo que hacemos.
6:59La enseñanza y el aprendizaje deben traer alegrías. ¿Qué tan poderoso sería nuestro mundo si tuviésemos niños que no temiesen asumir riesgos, que no tuviesen miedo de pensar, y que tuviesen a un campeón? Cada niño merece tener a un campeón, un adulto que nunca dejará de creer en ellos, que entienda el poder de la conexión, y les insista en que llegarán a ser lo mejor que pueden llegar a ser.
7:23¿Es difícil este trabajo? Les apuesto que sí, por Dios, que sí. Pero no es imposible. Podemos hacerlo. Somos educadores. Nacimos para marcar la diferencia.
7:35Muchísimas gracias.
7:36(Aplausos)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

COMENTE SIN RESTRICCIONES PERO ATÉNGASE A SUS CONSECUENCIAS